Monday, February 26, 2007

No new posts for a while

It's frustrating to see so many links dead already, having only started this blog 2 1/2 weeks ago. I can understand people complaining about the Herbie Hancock, but...

The Neil Feather?

The Alan Lamb?

9.9 out of 10 people don't even know who those artists are.

So, no new posts for a while. I may just close the blog down and start a new one this Spring/Summer. I'll have to think if it's worth it.

I appreciate everyone's comments about how to protect links, but it just doesn't work. And why should you have to go through the trouble of protecting a link to some insanely obscure release that's been out of print for years anyway?

I never did get around to posting the Charalambides "Union" LP on Siltbreeze or a lot of other extremely rare Fluxus type stuff. Maybe this Summer.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by.

79 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Arg, that's such a shame! I was just trying to get that Alan Lamb, but now I'm crying like an infant that lost its teddy bear. I hope you can keep up this blog with recommendations, reviews or articles or something. Many thanks for every piece that I loaded from this page!

All the best,
Misha
mishavanbeek@gmail.com

February 26, 2007 at 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man, i have been really enjoying yer posts...seriously. don't get discouraged (although it is extremely frustrating for you I am sure)..there is other upload services out there other than rapidshare that (so far)seem to not screw with posts as much. i don't think anyone "complained"...i think rapidshare just goes in and takes down what it wants...i predict they will be out of business within the next 2 years...noone seems happy with them. i will compile a list of other options other than rapidshare and paylesssoft and post them here as comments...we shouldn't let these crappy companies kill culture and interaction....keep up the good work!

February 26, 2007 at 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have to thank you - it was a pleasure.

do you have a newslist or something - I would like to know when you start something new.

best wishes from germany

b

February 26, 2007 at 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to hear the news ... I've seen many blogs but yours was one of the most interesting for various reasons, the music, the information q.s., the spirit and the attitude ... well, hope to hear soon from you ... and that first post ... wow ... Improvised Music From Japan ...thanks ...

February 26, 2007 at 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I´m the first one to comment.
Thanks for your work here. I know the deletion massacres are frustrating. i understand the blogger blues which catch you so early. i accept your decision and not wanna beg for the ususal stuff like "keep on going" etc.

if the advantages of having a blog overweight the disadvantages you will come back.

herr k.

February 26, 2007 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger Ross Birdwise said...

I really appreciate your blog, and i've heard of most of the music. i've especially appreciated the la monte young posts. i'm a poor student, so i can't download everything, i use an unprotected wireless network, and don't buy time from rapidshare, so i can't get it all, but a friend of mine gets it all and burns what i miss for me.

anyhow, its very much appreciated, i check your blog several times a day.

thanks,

ross

February 26, 2007 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger billygomberg said...

thanks for an ear scouring 2.5 weeks though!

February 26, 2007 at 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific, exceptionally well curated blog. I much uch admire your efforts and am grateful for so many first listens. Hope things get straightened out.
Thanks!

February 26, 2007 at 1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I followed you here via your comments at Church Number 9.
Although it has only been a couple of weeks, I have found some wonderful music here.
I may be in the .1% of people, who do know what you are posting and fortunately have kept up with them,
I was really looking forward too more obscure Avant Garde, Experimental & defiantly Fluxus albums that may have been posted here.
So thank you for the downloads I have got and I hope that you will resume in the future. (For me “Houston” would be the favourable Charalambides album and Toshi Ichiyanagi, Michael Ranta, Takahisa Kosugi or Toshiro Mayuzumi to name but a few would be most welcome)

The Hancock post may have drawn unwanted attention too your blog?
But I am sure the Artists and; or Labels of the lesser known items, would not object to you listing them. More likely; they would be pleased that someone is interested enough to want too share their music with others? I believe in supporting the artists by buying as much as I can and by regularly going to concerts
My wife & I went too see Matt Valentine & Erica Elder in Brighton a couple of years ago; the tickets cost £4 each, there were about 30 people in the audience and 8 of them were the other acts. Do the maths; these artists are not in it for the money!!!

You are probably experiencing a similar problem as "Mutant". Some self obsessed idiot who believes you are devaluing his collection, which he probably brought 20 copies of the 50 available, then destroyed 19 of them, too ensure that none of the friends he does not have; will be able to own it!!!!!

Whilst I do empathise with your frustration, I will offer this final thought.
Whatever we can rise above and overcome with dignity; will only serve too make us better people.

February 26, 2007 at 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's worth it's worth it!
It's worth it's worth it!!
It's worth it's worth it!!!
It's worth it's worth it!!!!
It's worth it's worth it!!!!!
It's worth it's worth it!!!!!!
It's worth it's worth it!!!!!!!
It's worth it's worth it!!!!!!!!
It's worth it's worth it!!!!!!!!!
It's worth it's worth it!!!!!!!!!!

omg please don't stop. Who else posts MIRROR lps I mean omg pleaaaaaase

February 26, 2007 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger OxBox said...

im so sorry
your blog is better than mine and i hope this tip could help you:
you had to rar the files with winrar and select a password for it. you find these option at the second regestrycard and there you take also decrypt for the files! you show the pass in the comment for example.
but its very cool if you make a rarfile with decrypt, so nobody could take a look inside, before unrar...
also you can make a linkpassword...
and is seems to bee possible that you could anonymize your links, but i dont no how.
it makes me crazy and its paranoid, but some blogger think you had to name the files with names like anton, bettie and so on.
o.k. doesnt seems to bee a hopeless situation!
if you like take a look at my blog, there it really works till now.

sorry my bad englisch
and hope you enjoy your blog with my tips
in a few days
best wishes
the mighty alpha-whale

ps.: if they (mega and rapid) cant see what it is, the coulnt erase it.

February 26, 2007 at 3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, the forces of link removal are shutting down my favorite blogs by the day. If it makes you feel any better, I got it this week, too.

February 26, 2007 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I believe the complaints were probably done by the artists themselves. I don't think anyone is deliberately sabotaging your work just for fun.

I think a lot of your postings are of works that are a little too recent, and of artists who know each other pretty well, so if one person protests, his friends are likely to as well.

Even if links die, there are a lot of grateful people who got to them before they disappeared.

But on the other hand, I think you're likely to have longer-lasting links if you post items that are by people who aren't still releasing music on a relatively regular basis.

You're doing a great job. Don't get so discouraged!

February 26, 2007 at 3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrible news. This is the most fun blog, ever. Hope you don't have to go away.

February 26, 2007 at 3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, sorry you feel this way, but if you've been monitoring music blogging activity for a while you know that this is reality. It sucks, and some people want music blogs shut down entirely for one reason or another. People who sell obscure or rare recordings who want to maximize their potential buying audience or whatever, it's almost all driven by money. The other faction who want to shut down blogs are those who want to shut down all sharing except for "lossless" shares. And there's always the third element, people who have nothing better to do but to try to ruin other's efforts. I'm sure one could think of more reasons, and while it's too bad that anyone would let those people "win", I certainly can understand your frustration. Just know that your efforts to share this music were, and are, and will continue to be appreciated.

February 26, 2007 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger musicgnome said...

Completely understood. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing these unknown treasures.

All the best,
Gnome

February 26, 2007 at 5:03 PM  
Blogger ms.tambourine said...

sad news =(

February 26, 2007 at 5:04 PM  
Blogger ms.tambourine said...

so sad news =(

February 26, 2007 at 5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the incredible, extraordinary music You've very graciously, very genourously given us...Visiting yr blog had become a daily ritual that I loved...I never left any comments or discussed any of the music, and for that I'm truly sorry...Shutting this blog down is terrible, terrible news...Good luck for the next projects, I hope to see You again...

Wes

February 26, 2007 at 5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sad. your blog is in my top 5. I'm a fan of NWW so your posts were very interesting for me. come back soon please. n

February 26, 2007 at 5:07 PM  
Blogger rotardendra said...

Just like to say thank you to this blog and to tell all these deleters and jackasses: your gated communities will crumble and your shit culture will die out of necessity, because the Earth and real human culture cannot bear its weight. So go on, continue acting like jackasses and assholes, because you're only hurrying along the process.

February 26, 2007 at 5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very sad to see you go... but understandable.

thanks very much for all you gave, it was an interesting education, to say the least. I especially enjoyed the artists that I didnt know before, like Mirror and Ora.

best wishes,
Q!

February 26, 2007 at 5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so sad. these last days i lived in this blog and i thought this was a dream come true. i'm very sorry about the end of this blog.

February 26, 2007 at 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you shouldn't give up, but have to keep alive a magnificent blog as this one.
the side of the sounds you post here, surely it is not the side of the music for everybody, but I think you really do a great work for me and for a lot of anonymous people, who get just a few or no chances to listen to this works in other ways-
some time ago, during some years, I've been a hard poster over usenet, (mp3 groups as ambient, avantgarde and gothic industrial), and I often felt sick&tired, when nobody sent a comment to the "great" albums I posted, but in the time I had the confirmation a lot of people was going to know and appreciate the wonderful sounds I was posting, but they preferred to stay in silence behind their pc's.
today I read that just another great blogger is in the doubt to go on or to stop the blog; I hope you two go on, here in the world we need blogs as yours, to get to know some special kind of music and feelings and alternative minds that maybe we couldn't ever know otherwise.
P.S. sorry , but English is not my language, so it's hard to word what I feel

February 26, 2007 at 6:20 PM  
Blogger FM SHADES said...

Hey,
You should stop using rapidshare. Try www.mediafire.com I've been using them for my blog and no links have gone dead. Its also free.
Fm shades

February 26, 2007 at 6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn, i've been trying to keep up with all of your great posts... hopefully you'll reconsider and continue on.
great tony conrad post, by the way!
thanks, and take care!

February 26, 2007 at 8:07 PM  
Blogger Cosmic Holy Ghost said...

thank you so much for all the great music.

February 26, 2007 at 8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no explanation for the deleted links. I just want to say you posted very interesting music, most of which I otherwise never would have heard. Thanks.

February 26, 2007 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Loopy C said...

Sorry to hear that bro, your unique exposure of rare, out of print sound treasures will surely be missed...you certainly made a big impression for just a few weeks!

Best of luck to you in all endeavors and I would love if you added my email (from my 'blogger profile' to any notification you might send out if/when you do another blog in the future.

Thanks again for the unique experience ; -)

February 26, 2007 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger JYC said...

I can understand your dilemma. I just want to say that I only discovered your blog about two days ago. I first thought it was a joke. Is he sharing all this fantastic music, I haven't heard half of the posts! Fantastic! Something new for a hungry soul.
I think I downloaded for an hour. Now I have to listen to it for days! After that I will comment and
this far I have only sneakpreveiwed some and I think your blog is great. Stay a while longer!

February 26, 2007 at 11:49 PM  
Blogger ShardsOfBeauty said...

thank YOU for giving us such rare music... the Bertoia, Mirror, and Ora in particular. I hope to see you (and that Charalambides & Fluxus stuff) sometime later...

February 27, 2007 at 12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry that you're looking to shut down. thanks however for the mirror stuff which i've been looking for for ages.

best

February 27, 2007 at 2:20 AM  
Blogger armeur H said...

I discovrede your blog some days ago, and I regret that some very interesting links (all the HNAS related and some La Monte Young) are deleted. And I regret that you closed your blog.

February 27, 2007 at 2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
I share your angry about deleting files. Rapidshare seems to be very "effective" in it (they have some legal troubles at the moment" so just try some other hosters like badongo, easy-share and provide your links in a PW protected rar file.
Greetings
IB

February 27, 2007 at 3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are not the only one this is happening to. what i don't get is this, who is asking you to take stuff down? do they have a legit reason to ask? if not why don't you just tell them to swivel? it would be a shame to lose you, this is def. one of the better (much better!) blogs out there.
ATB.

February 27, 2007 at 5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Please don't let us down!
I've just discovered your blog (unfortunately, most of the links are dead) but it really was great music you posted!

Maybe you will find the time (and the courage) to post again some new stuff (or re-post the rare ORA or Jonathan Coleclough...)

Best,

February 27, 2007 at 6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad, I enjoyed this blog...

February 27, 2007 at 7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is sad. hope you come back sooner than planned. I'll be looking out.

February 27, 2007 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Man i bloody hate these people going around ruining blogs! Why??!
Maybe try using mediafire or another file host for a while? See if the files are safer there.
Im not sure, but i sure hope this blog can keep running!

February 27, 2007 at 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to see that you are so frustrated. You have provided me/us with some of the most elusive and appreciated gems over the past few. the scelsi, the la monte young, the bertoia... these are all landmarks that have been driven to obscurity but deserve the brightest spotlight. i hope you can continue at some point in your work. in the meantime, i just want to thank you.

February 27, 2007 at 3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your efforts and this fantastic blog. Not easy to come across most of this stuff it being so rare. I did manage to grab a few gems so THANKS! I hope you stick with it.

February 27, 2007 at 3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:(

its really a shame that you want to quit. it might have been someone who just did for playing around, or to destroy your blog.

i don't´t know. and i understand your position. altought i feel kind of sad, cause i really liked your blog and during this time i discovered trough you some amazing stuff. really.

best wishes. be back soon

February 27, 2007 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you should choose to start reposting these elsewhere, please feel free to email and invite me along for the ride. I've really, really been enjoying those Harry Bertoia sound sculptures you posted. Have you ever had a chance to interact with his public sculpture installation in the Chicago Loop? My favorite public sculpture in the Windy City.

Thanks again,
Chris

February 27, 2007 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger marxbert said...

hey man,
thanks for the tunes while it lasted. enjoyed the scelsi...

it was good while it lasted. i missed some of the kagel myself...maybe in the endless summer..

February 27, 2007 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger cnow77 said...

I really appreciate the music you've let me hear. There is so much out there that I've yet to hear, it amazes me. Thanks in particular for the Soviet France. I'd heard of them years ago, but never actually heard their stuff until now. Great stuff too. The Jen Wood was a fabulous discovery. I've already ordered a cd and ep of hers through Amazon. Anyone who thinks that spreading information on bands hurts them is dead wrong. I wouldn't have bought her cds if not for this site. One more thing. I thought I was the only one to own a copy of that Half Japanese 2lp set. Glad to hear someone else has at least heard it. I must admit, I can't listen to that stuff anymore, but glad to see another generation get a taste of it.

Keep up the excellent work, please.

Cnow

February 27, 2007 at 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea how to stop trolls, but I've used zshare.net on my blog for quite a while now (almost a year) and haven't had any posts deleted due to complaints. I don't have a lot of outside links on other people's blogs, but totally fuzzy does link to me fairly often. I get between 300-500 unique viewers a day, so maybe I'm too small time for them to care. Most all of my posts are albums from the 60's and 70's and I definitely know that some are currently available. Which makes me wonder, what causes these bastards to single a site out and kill everything? Thanks anyway for all the great stuff you allowed me to experience. Please come back soon since you have such a wonderful collection. And yet, I'm too paranoid to give out my blog name here. If you find me, please download and enjoy anything you'd like.

February 27, 2007 at 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SORRY...

February 28, 2007 at 3:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

looks like someone just complained about a bunch of links with the express purpose of discouraging you.

February 28, 2007 at 2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, this is really sad news! you'll be missed, and i sincerely hope you'll be back. i so appreciate the wonderful stuff you've posted. thanks so much. nan

February 28, 2007 at 3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you're calling it quits. I d/l'ed the Night Passages and Organum files. Much thanks. I think that many idiots with little to do just go from blog to blog, getting files deleted for the hell of it. It is one thing if the artist or label asks to be taken down,but when a release is way out of print a third party should not care. It's just absurd.

March 1, 2007 at 1:02 AM  
Blogger EOI said...

this is awful, you were posting magic. please keep me posted if you create another one, this is a real loss.

March 1, 2007 at 5:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I ripped this earlier this week and I thought you might dig it. Arica - Heaven (1971) 192k

http://rapidshare.com/files/18668422/Arica_-_Heaven.rar.html

Please don't post this comment on the blog, it's linked to my email.

Thanks for all the great music,
Chris

March 1, 2007 at 2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yr blog rules, i just wish i found it sooner, i was wondering if you could please, please, please re-up the new blockaders box, i could gibe you "history of nothing" by them, which is not included in the box set. basically i just need Simphonie In X Major, but the bonus stuff would be nice too.

i also was wondering if you had any idea where i might be able to find polly bradfield's "solo violin" LP to download or if you had it. many thanks,
panagiotis

March 2, 2007 at 12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, it´s a shame you closing this excellent blog. Maybe one of the reasons (at least, mine)of ppl don´t downloading everything you upload´s because you posted several discs in a few days. This isn´t a complain, justa thought. I for one, can´t download everyday -and the rapidshare is a bummer, making me wait even 72 hours to download a single file! - And the velocity... well, it´s very slow.
I´m still trying to download the third file of the 10 cds box of japanese experimental music! can you believe it? But it worth the trying, everyday.
Man i thank you very much for the music, and while the files are up, i´ll keep trying. Hope you reconsider to bring us that great music. Here in México is really difficult to get, and finally i found a place to listen to this great great music.
Take care my friend and thank you again.

March 2, 2007 at 12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sorry, i´m Pablo Sinuhé :P

March 2, 2007 at 12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good !

9.9 out of 10 says good !

March 2, 2007 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

this is unfortunate news... i just found your blog and it is in top form, such a great find. i am not sure what broken links means? that someone is cutting the files? hope you decide to continue in some form.

March 2, 2007 at 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
realy awfull what's happening to your links,strange that no-one reacted to your possible ending of your blog,but whatever you decide you have my support and a lot of thanks for the rare and excellent experimental stuff.( hope you give it another try)

Thanks,

Cranio.

March 2, 2007 at 3:00 PM  
Blogger santino said...

I am sorry that you have experienced so many problems with deletions with this blog . This blog is among the most interesting and innovative blogs around..I appreciate the hard work that you have done--Thank you.

March 3, 2007 at 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, my names panagiotis, i'm the one looking for the new blockaders box & the long string installations, i thought i should give you my email, so maybe we could trade or something, you have (had?) the best blog EVER! well, let's just say your taste is mine. so here's my email
panstathis@netscape.net
thanks again, hope i hear from you
cheers

March 4, 2007 at 11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, my names panagiotis, i'm the one looking for the new blockaders box & the long string installations, i thought i should give you my email, so maybe we could trade or something, you have (had?) the best blog EVER! well, let's just say your taste is mine. so here's my email
panstathis@netscape.net
thanks again, hope i hear from you
cheers

March 4, 2007 at 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the work. I enjoyed the short and brief forage into the blogosphere. Next time don't use rapidshare.

March 4, 2007 at 5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

time to come back now.

March 5, 2007 at 9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i always come back and keep checking your site even though i know you shut it down. here's to hoping that you fire it up again soon (or at least begin a new one.) cheers,

from japan

March 6, 2007 at 4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well that's a shame you have to stop for a while, you've been doing great job... thanx for everything anyway, see you

March 6, 2007 at 6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't stop. The things I knew are excellent, and the new artists you showed me are even better. Thank you.

March 6, 2007 at 6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im waiting for you!!
your nice choice make me suprise.
thank you veryyyy mussshch

March 6, 2007 at 7:47 AM  
Blogger gomonkeygo said...

Sorry to hear you'll be taking a break. I only just found your blog a week or two ago and love it! Beautiful music, impossible to find, making life worth living, and so on and so on. Thanks very much, I appreciate what you've shared and the effort put into doing so. - Joel

March 6, 2007 at 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly no one seems to care, I miss you though.

March 7, 2007 at 4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw no, don't stop - I've only just discovered your blog (via ANAblog).

March 8, 2007 at 6:32 AM  
Blogger zhao said...

very strange indeed that people would complain about the posting of any out of print recordings. especially with the obscure artists.

but you have opened my eyes to some amazing material which otherwise would not have found a way to my ears. I am grateful.

take a break and see how you feel.

cheers!

March 8, 2007 at 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't give up... personally i'd love to hear the fluxus stuff!

March 9, 2007 at 2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

total bummer. just stumbled upon this blog today and was very sad to see the damion romero / mauricio kagel / neil feather all missing
:( hope you decide to give it another shot at some point.

March 10, 2007 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger Cellar said...

Cant get my head round people go around ruining blogs..
Well i hope this can continue, your blog was great!

March 11, 2007 at 5:39 AM  
Blogger jodru said...

I've been reposting your stuff as mp3's over at ANABlog, in hopes it would get you to come back to posting such wonderful material!

March 12, 2007 at 8:42 AM  
Blogger M. Barrett said...

booo...

it almost looks like one of the artists posted got vindictive about his or her work being freely distributed and killed as many links as possible.

I have a ton of short run CDrs out, and it any one bothered to post one somewhere like this, hell, I'd be flattered.

I'd probably email the blog-master, though, and let them know if its still available.

I look forward to whatever new blog you start!!!

March 12, 2007 at 1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all right!

March 14, 2007 at 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOLUTION = www.sharebee.com
it appears that they store your file in several places so that '' the deleter " can't get to all of them. when your link is clicked it takes you to a page with at least four download options for the file. not sure if they maintain the links but they do say "we keep your file online!"
check it out before shutting down!

March 16, 2007 at 3:19 PM  
Blogger gareth said...

only just come across your blog....it's a real shame someone saw fit to report all this stuff, loads of it was oop yet deserves an audience. All the best for the future....

March 16, 2007 at 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home