Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Jen Wood - Getting Past the Static [Win Records, 1997, USA]

Seattle-raised acoustic prodigy Jen Wood may speak softly, but she carries a big guitar. On her debut solo release, Getting Past the Static, Wood does just that, but not with raucous songs cast above the din.

Instead, she turns to the delicate power of acoustic melodies, vocal harmonies and spare song structures. At 21, Wood has an uncanny knack for zeroing in on moments of greatest emotional tension, crafting nuanced, haunting melodies that turn those moments inside out.

Before you run off crying "Jewel!" understand that Wood is neither overly-earnest nor precociously self-conscious. When she sits down to strum out the 10-minute "Caught Halo," it's actually worth 10 minutes of your time. --
Nick Heil

I first came across this CD at an indie rock record shop in Washington D.C. in February 1999, while on vacation with friends.

It was an unforgettable discovery.


Really nice and contains several songs I could easily include on my Top 100 Songs Of All Time list.

Very intimate, unique.

TRACKS:

01. Invitation To Plastic
02. Caught Halo
03. Three Thorns Torn
04. Bend
05. Candy
06. Sent Over
07. Your Turn
08. Q Is For Question
09. Bullet Box
10. Spoken For
11. Stay
12. Ocean

Personal favorite songs on this are "Invitation To Plastic, "Three Thorns Torn" and "Bend" ... so don't miss those.

Really beautiful music.
And hard to believe Jen was only 19 or 20 when she recorded this.

RAR

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You probably bought it at my old record store DCCD. Now I get it from you. thanks. I had forgotten about this.

February 21, 2007 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger Nuage fiché qui rêve said...

Beautiful ; thank you very much for this wonder.

(I'm now halfway through the album and I enjoy it a lot)

February 27, 2007 at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home